Right of Abode Rights in the UK
Right of abode in UK means the bearer will be authorized to stay in the country regardless to limit of time duration. Generally, British citizens get the right of abode automatically but for commonwealth citizens, some special rules are there to have this right.Know more about the conditions commonwealth citizens need to fulfill for getting the right of abode in UK
- Commonwealth citizens get the right of abode in United Kingdom if any of their parents possess the right already or if they have been married to someone having the right of abode.
- One becomes a citizen of UK and colonies automatically when if any of his or her parents was born in UK and bear citizenship of the country.
- If anyone was a commonwealth citizen on 31st December, 1982, he bears the right of abode.
- One who never stopped being a commonwealth citizen at any step after 31st Dec, 1982.
Right of abode and marriage
- One who is looking for the way to right of abode through marriage must have to be married to someone who possesses the right of abode before 1st Jan, 1983.
- Only females can get right to abode by marriage.
- Also, if you are married to a person who has already a living wife in UK, you will not get right of abode.
- If the one who marry has a partner bearing certificate of entitlement to right of abode.
- Despite of various rules regarding right of abode in marital conditions, you can bear the right of abode when your marriage took place on or before 1st Aug, 1988even your husband has other wives in the UK
- If you have been in the country since your marriage and at the same time your husband's only wife have to legally enter in UK.
In this way, it is clear that all commonwealth citizens don't possess right of abode. For this reason, certain rules are there they need to follow. Know here how you can claim for the right of abode:
Using following documents as evidence brings the opportunity to get right of abode for you in UK:
- A UK identity card that describes you as the British Citizen
- A UK passport
- A certificate of entitlement that has been issued by the Govt. of UK.
If you don't have a UK passport, you can apply for one on identity and Passport service website. Secondly, if you don't have id card or passport, you can claim for the certificate of entitlement.
So this is all to know about the process and rules of getting right of abode if you are commonwealth citizen in UK.
Free Life in the UK Practice Tests 2020
|3rd Edition Practice Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|New 3rd Edition Tests 2021||Take Life in the UK Test|
|UK Citizenship Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|Life in the UK Mock Test||Take Life in the UK Test|
|New Free Practice Tests 2021||Take Life in the UK Test|
|British Citizenship Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|Free Practice Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|Values and Principles of the UK||Take Life in the UK Test|
|What is The UK||Take Life in the UK Test|
|A Long and Illustrious History||Take Life in the UK Test|
|A Modern Thriving Society||Take Life in the UK Test|
|UK Government, The Law and Your Role||Take Life in the UK Test|