Earn UK citizenship through naturalization process - eligibility and requirements
Naturalization is a different type of process to acquire British Citizenship which can be achieved through different routes. Surely, this process will be guided and observed by the Home Secretary for which different official eligibility requirements have been laid however; they can refuse the citizenship application even if you have fulfilled all the requirements of acquiring UK Citizenship.
The sole criteria which is followed to grant UK citizenship through naturalization that a person should be civil partner or spouse of a UK citizen that can be proved through different methods.
Common categories to be eligible for naturalization
- Applicant must have born to British mother before January 1, 1983.
- You already have acquired any other form of UK citizenship.
- Applicant born to British father, even in unmarried situation.
- Born after or on January 1, 1983 in UK.
- Proving connection to Hong Kong or Gibraltar
- Stateless applicants
- Under 18 applicants that are not fit in other categories
In addition to the above categories or groups, you will have to satisfy other norms and requirements to be naturalized as UK citizen.
Civil partnership to or married to British Citizen
If an applicant is in civil partnership to or married to British citizen, following criteria must also be satisfied:
- Applicant must have lived for 3 years legally in UK.
- Must display enough knowledge of UK's life either by attending classes of English language and citizenship or by passing the exam of Life in United Kingdom Test. However, the authorities may exempt applicants from such tests or language proficiency if they are aged between 60-65 years or above 65 years.
- He should also show proof of indefinite leave to remain in UK at the time of filing application for naturalization.
- Must show good character
- Satisfy the competence standards and requirements in Scottish Gaelic, Welsh or English Language.
However, if an applicant does not fall in the above category of spouse or civil partner to a British citizen then following requirements should be fulfilled:
- Indefinite leave to remain in UK or equivalent like Irish Citizenship, the right of abode or permanent resident as a family member or citizen to EU or EEA at the time of applying for UK citizenship.
- The applicant needs or must show intention to work overseas for British association/Organization/Government or live in UK.
- Must show proof for 5 years legal residence in UK.
- Knowledge of UK lifestyle and language proficiency should be there as mentioned in the above category.
- Must show good character
Free Life in the UK Practice Tests 2020
|3rd Edition Practice Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|New 3rd Edition Tests 2021||Take Life in the UK Test|
|UK Citizenship Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|Life in the UK Mock Test||Take Life in the UK Test|
|New Free Practice Tests 2021||Take Life in the UK Test|
|British Citizenship Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|Free Practice Tests||Take Life in the UK Test|
|Values and Principles of the UK||Take Life in the UK Test|
|What is The UK||Take Life in the UK Test|
|A Long and Illustrious History||Take Life in the UK Test|
|A Modern Thriving Society||Take Life in the UK Test|
|UK Government, The Law and Your Role||Take Life in the UK Test|